My Life. Past, Present and Future

My photo
Hilliard, oh., United States

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Life Changing

versions of me 022_edited-2 Today is the day I married a man 8 years my junior. It was a Saturday, a day unlike the weather today for it was hot and sticky like our romance. Today it is a cool day for the end of June. (Hope that isn’t an omen.) We met one Friday night in our home town. It was early spring and a night for singles to go out and whoop up the town. Back then restaurants double for night clubs in the evening in the bar/lounge area. The floor was lit as if you were dancing in the  Saturday Night Fever movie. I was standing alone, reached down to retrieve an object found on the floor, as I stood up I viewed the very tall handsome man watching me. He nodded to the dance floor, asking me to dance. I love to dance and being vertically challenged  tall men rarely noticed me. I was not about to pass up a potential match. He proved to be a fine and fun dancer. Having all the right moves for music of the 80s’. We talked for quite awhile that evening having alot in common. He was newly divorced with children, me going on 3 years single, two children, one an infant. At one point in the evening I wrote my numbers down with a lip pencil on the back of a business card in hopes he would call me. If you asked him today, he still has that card. He drove me to my car that night for I had gone with friends to the club. I really didn’t think I would hear from him, one month later as I rushed out the door he called. We made a date and 6 months later we married. It felt right, it felt forever. God sent this man to me. Others wouldn’t see me long enough due to the fact I was an already made Family. I was secure in every way at the time we met, but it was life changing for now I had to learn to let go of some of my independence, and learn how to have a happy blended Family. He was so good in every way I often didn’t feel worthy. Why is this tall perfect man with me? He made me want to be a better version of me. I didn’t change for him, I like to think I changed and grew with him. Over 24 years marriage isn’t always going to be all roses and wine.There were years that were very tough and as long as I stayed on the roller coaster of life and reminded myself in bad times that we will reach the top of the hill again, I had no doubt we wouldn’t make it to this year, the 24th. Our marriage is strong. A man who doesn’t fuss about dishes in the sink for two days or the grocery shopping rarely getting done, laundry piled in baskets, ect, ect. ect. He has staying power and truly loves me and all my failings. We will probably not celebrate today in any special way, that is okay (used to it). In his eyes, everyday is special because we have each other to live out our lives together till our dying days. Next year though the 25th will be kick ass for I will be certain to plan the CELEBRATION!

24 years and Going Strong and many more to come!!

musical instruments and tanzanite jewelry are the suggested modern day gifts for a 24th wedding anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. musical instruments and tanzanite jewelry?
    What a lovely post, I enjoyed reading it. I want to see the business card with your handwriting and your phone number on it. I bet it is cool. Should be framed!
    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete