My Life. Past, Present and Future

My photo
Hilliard, oh., United States

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Not a good thing

Another Friday at home with the Man. I had what I thought to be a yummy idea. The Man suggested eating out, I really didn’t feel like going out so we had take out for the evening and while out the Man picked up a couple of movies for the night. Earlier in the week while searching for a recipe I had come across a recipe for whiskey cake. I had some Jack Danielsjack daniels in the cupboard

begging to be put to use. The reason why I so wanted to make this whiskey cake is because in the beginning of August while visiting my First Born her hubby had brought home a whiskey cake someone had made. I had a piece and found it to be oh so yummy. Off to the store the Man went for dinner, movies and the one ingredient I did not have. Upon his return I began this cake so it would bake while we sat watching one of our movies and eating our subs. This cake needed to bake 30 minutes. Within 25 minutes we began to notice the house was filling with smoke and then the smoke detector was triggered. To the kitchen, the dog ran outside afraid of the noise. This darn cake, full of butter, sugar, and eggs mainly, spilled over onto the bottom of the stove as it was puffing up during the baking process. I made the decision to let it finish cooking and run the exhaust. This was not a good thing. Now the house is so smelly, I hoped the smell would leave the house before we headed off to bed. It was a cool evening so I opened the door bringing in the fresh air. Off to bed, and a sleepless night began. The smell of burned grease was stuck in my nostrils keeping me awake, the house still smelled the next morning. One bad thing, I have cakes to make for a Bridal shower and a Birthday Party for the soon to be 3 Granddaughter. I have to clean the oven. Set the oven for cleaning, and this was a mistake. I did try to clean the bottom before hand but the burned on greasy debris would not move. Once again billowing smoke rose from the oven. What am I to do? Off to the store for air freshener and something to budge the filthy grease off the bottom of this stove.dirty oven A couple of hours spent cleaning the bottom and the racks to the oven with the only cleaning product I could find that might work. S.O.S pads. I forgot what wonders these little scrubbing pads held. They do exactly as they say. Now I can set the oven for a good high temp clean and hope tonight I get a better nights rest for the house is still smelly, for the smoke has permeated everything. Hope for tomorrow and fresh scent once again.

You ask how the Whiskey cake turned out. Not the same as I tasted at my Daughters. Need the recipe of that cake, for this really  wasn’t a cake. I believe it was a take on chess pie. The flavor was okay but the texture not too pleasing. Rubbery, I may have done something wrong. All in all the ice cream made it edible. In the future I will protect the oven with cookie sheets under an overfilled dish saving me time and trouble of unwanted cleaning and smells. Lesson learned the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment