My Life. Past, Present and Future

My photo
Hilliard, oh., United States

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reproduced

I gained a client about a year ago who had been referred to me by the http://drycleaningstationcolumbe.com . This client has been a customer of theirs’ for many years and was seeking someone who could make a knit dress from a picture she had found in a magazine and a dress that was similar she owned. She called me and I was up for the challenge as I often am. This was the start of a one of a kind business relationship. I often do not make custom garments for the ladies, they are most likely not going to want to pay for a custom garment and tend to be overly picky with the outcome in most cases. More so than when purchasing something off the rack. I choose these customers selectively thru upfront conversation of their expectations to be certain they will not become one big headache. There are few I will make garments for, mostly just friends and family, you can’t make any money off of custom. Custom work isn’t quick, unlike alterations. The time spent on cutting a pattern, measuring and finishing a garment can at times with even the simpless dress can take a day. My first knit dress I reproduced for this client turned out so well I made several for her andKaties Birthday 007_edited-1 sold several more to others. I even wished the style worked for me, for it is oh so cute. It did work out for Teacher Daughter and I fashioned her one for her 21st birthday celebration party. She looked like a Grecian Goddess in it. If only the weather had held up that day to support this sleeveless strappy dress with gold trimming intertwined on the straps. Her touch.The other three were standard colors, one a patterned fabric for a different client. My client is a no frills kind of girl and likes to keep her wardrobe simple. The teal dress was a little of a stretch for her. I played around with the flounce length, for me I like the longer flounce it gives this garment a little more drama.

 

CIMG3611CIMG3621 CIMG3661

                                                                               

Two weeks ago I received another phone call from this client asking me to make more dresses for her this time from a specific dress that is comfortable and meeting friendly. She was attending a conference for a week and wanted to make packing and dressing for her days away as simple as possible. First stop fabric store, next tear apart the garment to copy for a rough pattern, then hit the sewing machine, serging machine and away we go. First day took the longest nearly 6 hours to create pattern melinis knit dress quinlan 052and figure out the perfect way to reconstruct this dress. I rarely need instructions for the construction of a garment, quite often the finished product is not up to manufactures standards. I mainly skim over the steps and change up and shake my head wondering why the pattern maker is making an item more difficult to construct than need be. There are tricks and viable short cuts to be taken without fear of producing an inferior product, and finishes that should be done to ensure this isn’t the outcome. I told my client this would be the process, taking apart one dress to create the others. She said “as long as it isn’t noticeable,” with trepid hesitation. I’m thinking, okay, remember this is me, I wouldn’t suggest it, if it would change the original in any way. When people ask me to do these things I never lead them astray with thinking I have the skills of a pattern maker, because I don’t. I probably could though with all the right tools, such as curved rulers and so on and create my own patterns. But why, when most patterns are readily available. If you can’t find the exact one use several patterns and mix the pieces to come to the desired look you want.

One week later, 2 days time spent, the birth of 3 reproduced garments appeared in basic colors for their trip to a conference and a client being comfortable while attending all day meetings. I liked the garments so much and the ease of construction I will probably make a few for myself, in less basic colors and cute prints. She adored her triplets with the older one and per my suggestion of adding a sleeve has the intentions of having these assembled for the transitional fall. With a little tweaking and adding a detail her and there. One pattern can take on many faces to become one of a kind. I hope one day instead of reproducing a garment for this client, she will entertain the idea of designing something new.

 

                                 melinis knit dress quinlan 036 melinis knit dress quinlan 040melinis knit dress quinlan 049

A CONFERENCE UNIFORM OF COMFORT, yet still professional with many options of styling.

I am a little uncomfortable by reproducing, if it isn’t designer can it be considered as counterfeiting? Probably so! Reproductions offer very little gain and are not massively reproduced for resale.

1 comment:

  1. you are very talented! wow. what great sewing skills. My Grandma used to be able to do that too...I don't think that copying a pattern is stealing, hasn't this always been done by those with the skills to do it?

    ReplyDelete