My Life. Past, Present and Future

My photo
Hilliard, oh., United States

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Applaud You

bride groom A Bride and Groom from yesteryears when gowns were mostly simplistic.
I take my hat off to everyone and anyone who alters wedding gowns of today on a daily basis.This is one of the toughest jobs in the tailoring world to do. I have been tearing apart a heavily beaded gown, hoping the beads would not fall to the floor just to hem this 5lb dress from the waist. Why you ask would I alter it from the waist. This dress has a long train with pleating and scallop trim. So you remove what you can in order to maneuver the dress and move the bodice to the location needed to make it shorter and what do you get? A waist on the skirt that is too big for the bodice to be put back on. ARGHHHHHHH! Now comes the part where I need to figure out how much I will take in to make the bodice fit again. In the mean time I hear beads fall to the floor. (just a few.) Oh no, where did this blood come from? I could not find where or how I was bleeding, I did get a bandage to cover a wound from yesterday, just in case, and a wet paper towel to remove the spot. Brides do not like it when you bleed on their gowns.  Tricky I tell you. The time involved due to how careful and gentle I have to handle the dress will be ridiculous. I have walked away for a few moments to collect my thoughts before trying to baste the bodice back on. I did figure out amount needed to take in waist. Done.

The only Wedding Gowns I will be encountering in the future will be those for my Daughters, for they will be constructed by me from start to finish, pattern being altered for the custom fit required.
I thought I would just say Thank You tailors/seamstresses who are willing and love to alter complex wedding gowns. For as I, will I ever alter one again? Emphatically, that would be a big fat NO.

I know my client will be happy when all is said and done, for she has come to one of the best, and has full trust in me.   And they lived Happily ever After.bridal train
        P.S
        Not such a good time to try to quit smoking when my work load has become tremendously heavy.     One day at a time. One day at a time. 

1 comment: