My Life. Past, Present and Future

My photo
Hilliard, oh., United States

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dog Days of Summer

devil smiley faceBy the end of May the temperature reached into the 90 degree mark. I found it very difficult to keep a smile or even to concentrate. Hell was upon us here on earth. I knew something would have to be done to make my work conditions bearable or I may have to give up the idea of my shop within the dry cleaners. The last week of May saw me leaving work as early as 2:00 barely spending 4 hours in the shop. I had a client who left with the remainder of her alterations all because she was too sweaty to pull them on. What to do? How would I get the work done needed to make a pleasant working environment? The Man works, he could help me out but that would not happen without a lot of grumbling. I may work around the clock, he only wants to put in his 12 hours and be done with the day. Thank goodness I was about to have a visitor Memorial Day weekend. My younger Brother Dominic. Dominic has a construction business and was coming to town to paint my house in trade for a couple of old vehicles we had inherited. my phone 133 

My Brother, his lady helper and live in Margarita. Yes this is her name, for real. They are a team of sorts. I hadn’t mentioned to him my predicament, I didn’t know how long he could stay in town and I did need my home painted. The week past by and the days became hotter. In casual conversation I explained I didn’t think I would keep the shop and why, in this conversation I explained what I would need in the way of repairs in order to be semi comfortable, which in turn would generate and keep clients coming thru the door during these dog days of heat. I said “I wish the Man would help me out, the last thing he wants to do is come home and labor with tiring work so I will either have to suffer or move on.” My Brother needing money as well said “Sis, I will stay another week to repair your shop or anything else you need taken care of. I have no other business at the time. Let me help you.” We agreed upon an amount and within a few days walls were built, a portable air conditioner purchased, paint and new flooring happened. For three days the couple worked on the house and in the evening the second shift began, all but one night I helped and even the Man pitched in setting the air conditioning unit in place. All the work being done was a bit consuming and what I thought would be a week turned into two and a half. I got to know my Brother once again and fought on occasion with his lady. Never ask a sister to go against her Brother. I just don’t roll like that.

camping 006

camping 007

My shop now, where there once was not a room, we now have total privacy and a sound proof room, I kid you not. The floor is cleaner, the ceiling has tile, and the walls are painted white, creating a brighter work environment bouncing the light around the space without shadowing my work. The best part of all, the portable air conditioner and a fitting room you are not afraid to take your shoes off in.camping 010 I will admit there are days the air conditioner does not help me. When the humidity is high and the temp outside reaches into the 90’s. The curtain remains closed to cool the fitting room to at least 85 the lowest I was able to achieve on these extreme days of heat. I still ran fans 4 at times to generate a reduction in heat, this only seemed to blow the hot air around. One task accomplished at least. Clients could enjoy there fittings and be able to get there clothes pulled onto their bodies for the intended alterations needing done. Monies still made.

The customers of the http://drycleaningstationcolumbus.com are all very impressed in the room I now have and often express how nice it was for the owner to do this for me. I can’t help but wonder what they truly are thinking with this statement. For 17 years the fitter before me was allowed to suffer the summer heat without relief and they think I ranked higher that he would put up the monies for me. Who can say independently operated? I can. My response with these statements at times are. Thank you I (emphasis on I) had my brother build this room for me and you the client, I am so happy you like the work we did. Employees of the cleaners had hoped the improvements would spill over into the rest of the space, said to say it has not happened and never will. When you are close to retirement you hang onto profit, you don’t reinvest in a business you intend to give up. I felt guilty for their suffering for I no longer was. I am however over the guilt, they are not my employees nor my responsibility. SO SORRY for your suffering.

My home projects over, my Brother hit the road and headed back to Indy. A big Thank You Brother. We plan to hook up again for a vacation on the fourth of July. This will prove to be a test of our new found relationship. This is the year I am determined to reunite with all my siblings, those who have found their way back into the fold and those who are being shunned for others personal reasons. Family last till we are no longer, I say forgive and embrace. We are older and different and years have pass us by.

SIBLING DUTY: TO LOVE AND FORGIVE AS THE ELDEST SISTER, I PROMISE TO DO SO!shannas bday 030 

an Uncle gets to know his grown Nieces. what could be better?

1 comment:

  1. aaaw I enjoyed reading that. And I love that picture of us we all look so happy yay!
    That is funny how customers give whats his face credit for your great workspace. You go girl for getting it done!

    ReplyDelete